Friday, May 18, 2012

The Essence of Beauty


*this photo was taken a year ago so please ignore the fact that I'm wearing makeup :)

If I am 20 pounds lighter someone will love me.  If my skin is clearer someone will love me.  If I drive a sexy new car someone will love me.  If I carried a $5000 purse someone will love me. 

How many conditions do we put on being considered worthy of love?  Can we do enough? Buy enough? Work enough?  Give enough?  And what is enough?  And since when was love something to be earned? The beauty of love is that it is given freely.  

If we lose those 20 pounds or if those pimples finally clear up, are we smarter? are we funnier? are we more compassionate? Are we more brave?  I dare say the only thing a "perfect" exterior gives you is the confidence to look people in the eye and be counted as equal.  But what if you could do that no matter what? 

I think of a friend who I've watched fluctuate over 100 pounds throughout the years.  To me she was always the same whether she had lost 100 pounds or put it back on.  The only time I realised her weight had changed was when I saw a before photo.  The eyes of this beholder saw was her amazing essence.  Everything that she is, which is brilliant, insightful, inspiring, cute, playful, flirtatious and fun.  Her weight never changed who she truly was.  

You are beautiful, not because you achieved the proper measurements or finally tamed your blemishes or saved up enough for the perfect outfit.  

You are beautiful simply because you are.  

You Are.  

1 comment:

  1. I am so proud of you Nicole for the work you have done here. :)

    ReplyDelete